Sunday, April 12, 2009

Book Review and other Mundane Musings...

The site Daily Office.org introduced me to a wonderful work called the New Zealand Prayer Book.  I decided to purcase a copy and I am so glad I did.  It is an absolutely beautiful rendition of the Book of Common Prayer.  The language in it is so earthy and physical, and it helped me to look as some of the prayers we take for granted in a new light.  For example, here is the Our Father as read in A Night Prayer (Compline):

Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and for ever. Amen.


Isn't that absolutely beautiful?  Here is Psalm 23, also from the Night Prayer:

Dear God, you sustain me and feed me:
like a shepherd you guide me.
You lead me to an oasis of green,
to lie down by restful waters.
You refresh my soul for the journey,
and guide me along trusted roads.
The God of justice is your name.
Though I must enter the darkness of death,
I will fear no evil.
For you are with me,
your rod and staff comfort me.
You prepare a table before my very eyes,
in the presence of those who trouble me.
You anoint my head with oil,
and you fill my cup to the brim.
Your loving kindness and mercy will meet mer
every day of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of my God for ever.


Reading through some of the prayers and services has made me want to travel to New Zealand just to participate in the Eucharist and hear it read alloud.  I HIGHLY reccomend this version of the BCP.  It will breathe new life into your prayers and help you get a different understanding of so many things we take for granted from our own.

In baby news, the nesting has begun.  Mrs. H. is upstairs right now gathering up anything not nailed down for a massive yard sale and donation spree.  I can't complain too much.  The last time she did this was when Spud was in the oven, and she made $400 off of that.  

We decided on a name for Sproutette.  Actually we have had one boy and one girl name picked out since we got married.  Her name will be Lorelai Elizabeth.  Kinda pretty, I think, although I am a bit concerned that Mrs. H. got the name from that old show The Gilmore Girls... I hated that show.  Pretty name though.

Well, I have to get back to writing papers, I have two due by Tuesday night, and since Tuesday night is also Vestry, I won't be able to do much then.  

No comments: