Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!!

Ok, I am officially refusing to let the depressing end of year stuff get me down! This is a new year, time for some optimism.

Even though: last Sunday our interim priest(ess?) gave a sermon based on the Day of Innocents which turned into a litany of massacres over the last 2000 years that left everyone feeling hopeless.

Even though: the stock market is rallying, but the bailout doesn't seem to be helping the big financial institutions.

Even though: for some reason Mad Priest has been on a tirade about circumcision and comparing it to female genital mutilation. Sorry, Sport, but cutting the overlapping skin off of your penis is NOT the same as cutting the clitoris off, not even in the same ballpark. Thanks for playing, though.

Even though: several liberal bloggers have been bemoaning Obama's choice of Rick Warren for giving the invocation at the inauguration. Gebus, people, not everyone is perfect.

Why am I so optimistic that this is going to be a good year?

1. Obama was elected. We have a fresh start in the White House and a historic first to boot! Granted, it's going to take a lot of work to undo 8 years of failed policies, but you have to start somewhere.

2. My baby boy is healthy and happy, and I have the joyful opportunity to watch him grow up!

3. I just finished the first leg of my journey toward discernment. I have to have a undergraduate degree before I can start the discernment process here, and I'm now halfway to that! That's worth celebrating!

4. It's a new year!

Remember, yesterday is a memory and tomorrow's a dream, so live in the NOW! This moment right here, right now! All things work to the greater good... someone once told me.

No comments: