Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Quite a Scare and Holy Schnikies!

Two diferent subjects on one posting. First I thought I'd share the minor heart attack the online college I am attending gave me. I opened my e-mail this morning to find a "Dear John" letter from CTU saying I had been withdrawn from the degree program. After I picked myself up off the floor from the shock, I made several calls to the college, some not quite so friendly, to find out that a computer on their campus had hiccuped, which caused the accidental disenrollment of 140+ students. The good news is that the error has been corrected with no harm done to my grades. Praise God!

In regards to the Innauguration coming up, and Bishop Robinson being invited to give an invocation Sunday. I am so proud and excited for him at the moment I can't contain myself! Woo Hoo!!

Now I am not one of the knee-jerk folk that seem to believe that Bishop Robinson walks on water and should be canonized immediately. However, St. Gene is a remarkable man, who comes across as very humble and unassuming. The fact that he will be giving the invocation from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial is, I think, a wonderful touch, and a bit ironic.

It also gives, I hope, enough of a balance to placate those who are still miffed at the Rick Warren scandal. Personally, I don't know enough about Pastor Warren to give an oppinion. I do know that he is one of the more liberal of the Southern Baptist variety, which may not be much, but is a start. The SBC has been run by ultra conservative fundangelicals for at least 18 years, it will take quite a while to bring them back to the 20th century. He and I are at least in agreement that helping the poor and needy should be more of a priority of the Church.

I am still hopeful for the future. Quaint though it may seem, I think we are in for a rough ride, but out of it we will come out stronger and more united than before. In order for our country to move ahead, we all have to work together. That means temporarilly holding your nose and offering a reconcilliatory hand to the Fundangelicals in order to move on to the most imperative issues right now... helping those that are hurting The people who have been forced to the margins in this economy as well as those who have always been there. The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. It is going to take working together with folk we wouldn't normally associate with to lift up those who can not lift themselves. I've said it before, we all helped create this mess, it's going to take all of us to clean it up.

1 comment:

James said...

Well, it is true that +Robinson doesn't walk on water, but he sure knows where the rocks are to step on. :)